At the end of last month the Welsh Liberal Democrats launched their ambitious five point plan to fight climate change. The plan was published in the policy paper titled 'Towards a Greener Tomorrow' and looks at energy reduction for electricity and gas, electricity from renewable sources and green house gases.
The paper was launched by William Powell AM, Welsh Liberal Democrat Shadow Environment Minister, at GB-Sol which manufacturer solar PV modules. The policy includes five ambitious targets:
- net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050;
- 100% of electricity demand from renewable sources by 2025;
- a 50% reduction in energy used for heating and electricity by 2030;
- an increase in cycling rates to 10% by 2025 and 25% by 2050; and
- halting the loss of biodiversity by 2020.
Matthew Kidner, Welsh Lib Dem Candidate for Islwyn, said:
"I am excited to see such ambitious targets being proposed by the party. I see renewable energy projects, such as the Tidal lagoon in Swansea, as being essential to future energy strategy of Wales."